April 20, 2015
Research Faculty of International Media and Communication
Announcement of Job Opening
To Whom It May Concern:
Hokkaido University is pleased to announce an opening for a tenured faculty position in the field of East Asian Media Studies. We ask that you kindly recommend suitable candidates as well as widely share the following information with colleagues and others whom you feel may be interested.
A full-time tenured associate professor in the Research Faculty of International Media and Communication, Hokkaido University.
(i) Conducting research on East Asian Media Studies at the Research Faculty. Target regions may include not only Japan, China and Korea but also Asia and the Pacific and other related areas. Hirees are to conduct research on journalism, public relations, culture and so on of the target region.
(ii) Teaching and graduate student guidance appropriate to one’s specialty, within one of the divisions of the Research Faculty of International Media and Communication, or of the Hokkaido University Graduate School of Education.
(iii) Teaching either German, Chinese, Russian, Korean or Spanish as a foreign language to undergraduate students, as well as teaching of other general education subjects (these courses should be considered equivalent to conventional foreign language courses or other general education subjects traditionally taught in Japanese universities).
(iv) Performing other administrative and committee duties necessary to the smooth functioning of the Research Faculty.
3. Contract Commencement Date (Scheduled)
September 14, 2015
(i) Doctoral degree (or expected obtainment thereof in the immediate future), or possession of equivalent ability
(ii) Active research career in journalism, public relations, or culture of East Asia, along with research outcomes at a level indicative of high quality future research output. Capability to engage in joint research in the area of one’s specialty.
(iii) Possession of the ability to conduct lectures in English is desirable.
(iv) Non-native Japanese speakers must possess the ability to conduct courses in Japanese as well as to smoothly carry out administrative duties in the Japanese language.
(v) The ability, characteristics and attitude to proactively contribute to the internationalization of the Research Faculty. The potential for positive engagement in international educational and research exchange with foreign universities. Possession of the experience of having organized international research conferences/symposia or of having presented multiple times at such events is desirable.
(vi) As work duties vary widely, candidates of a flexible and earnest nature who will proactively and positively engage in work-related duties and responsibilities are desirable.
5. Application Materials
(1) Resume (include your date of birth, home or work address, phone number, email address, as well as a photo)
(2) List of publications and presentations, including monographs, journal articles, competitive grants obtained, etc. List separately those publications in refereed journals and those which are unrefereed articles or conference presentations/proceedings. Include a 100-character summary in Japanese for all publications other than those in (3) below.
(3) At least two, and no more than 3, samples of your research. Copies could be of a published paper, a draft of a conference presentation, or an MA/PhD thesis chapter.
(a) Attach an approximately 1000-character summary in Japanese for each.
(b) Candidates who have completed their doctorate, or are currently in the process of review of a completed doctorate, must attach a copy, along with a 1000-character summary in Japanese.
(4) A scanned version of the degree certificate of the highest degree obtained.
(5) A statement, in approximately 2000 Japanese characters, outlining:
(a) your research to date
(b) your future research plans
(c) your perspective on research ethics
(6) A statement, in approximately 1000 Japanese characters, of your previous teaching achievements as well as future teaching aspirations should you be hired by Hokkaido University.
(7) Contact details (name, affiliation, title, email address, telephone number) of two referees.
* Sent materials will not be automatically returned. Those wishing for the return of their application materials should include a self-addressed return envelope with the appropriate postage affixed.
* Short-listed candidates may be requested to come to Sapporo for an interview (domestic airfare will be provided).
6. Application Deadline
Friday, June 6, 2015 (Materials must be received by Japan Time: 5:00 PM)
7. Address to which Application Materials Should be Sent
Please write 「東アジアメディア研究准教授応募書類」on the face of the envelope in red ink and send by registered mail.
8. Contact Information
Please write “東アジアメディア研究准教授公募関連” in the subject line of the email message, and send inquiries only in Japanese.
Announcement of Job Opening
April 20, 2015